Flood disaster waste management

River Murray Region Floods 2022–23

To register for an assessment of your property and clean-up assistance, contact the Relief Information phone line on 1800 302 787 between 9 am and 5 pm, Monday to Friday. 

If you have already registered and wish to discuss your case, please contact DMA on 1800 418 491.

Free vouchers for flood-affected debris disposal are now available. Click here for voucher FAQ details.

Flood Impacted Property Assessment Frequently Asked Questions:

I’ve already registered and I want to talk to someone about my next steps, who do I call?

If you have already registered and wish to discuss your case, please contact DMA on 1800 418 491.

I need to register for a structural assessment and assistance with clean-up, what do I need to do?

Call 1800 302 787. If you know your client ID or relief centre ID, quote that number to speed up the process. If not, you will be allocated an ID when you call and you can use that in the future to speed up the process of contacting the information line about your needs.

Who is eligible for a structural assessment?

Anyone in a primary residence, a shack or holiday home, small business or not-for-profit organisation that has been impacted by flood waters. Large businesses are not eligible. A small business is defined as less than 30 full time employees. 

Small Business Industry Support Grants are available to help eligible small businesses and not-for-profit organisations trade through the River Murray flooding emergency. Learn more.

My property is a farm. Will I get assessments and clean-up services for free?

Structural assessments and clean-up options for farms are available for farming enterprises that employ less than 30 full time employees.  Primary producers should also contact Primary Industries SA for information on the River Murray Flood Primary Producer Recovery Grants

Is there a charge?

There’s no cost for a structural assessment and clean-up support. These activities will be jointly funded by the federal and state government. 

I’m insured, will I still get this assessment for free?

Yes, you will get the structural assessment for free. If you are insured, but not for flood damage, you will also be likely to receive access to waste clean-up services at no cost. If you are insured for flood damage, you should document with photographs everything you can in terms of damage and contact your insurer as soon as possible to ask about your policy. Assistance for people who need waste clean-up and are also insured is available, and you should discuss this first with your insurer to gain a full understanding of what is covered by your policy and what your insurer recommends.

What happens after I register for an assessment?

Johns Lyng Disaster Management Australia (DMA) has been appointed to coordinate structural assessments and debris removal. Following your registration, a case manager will contact you to gain any extra information about the level of support required, and to arrange the next steps for gaining access to your property for an assessment/debris removal. 

Once your assessment has been completed, you will receive a copy which you can then choose to share with your insurer, council, or any builder or contractors. The assessment will not be shared without your consent.

DMA has commenced the process of scheduling in assessments and flood-affected material and debris removal. Primary residences will be prioritised over holiday homes and shacks. We appreciate this is a lengthy process and ask that you please be patient at this time.

How will I know the contractor is who they say they are?

South Australian government approved contractors will have official identification you can check to confirm their identity.

How can I check the progress of the clean-up?

A map showing what clean-up support is being provided in real-time is available on the GISA website

Further information on the recovery process can be found on the SA Recovery website.

What will be involved in the clean-up?

Through the free clean-up service, flood-affected materials such as carpets, plasterboard, insulation and cabinetry will be collected from your property. 

Kerbside collections, community drop-offs and access to mini-skip bins are also being made available in an ongoing process. 

If you have registered, you will be contacted when kerbside collections are taking place in your area, and collections will continue until all flood-affected materials have been removed – no one will miss out.

Where possible, please try and sort materials separately, keeping metals and e-waste separated. This will make the recovery and recycling of scrap metal more effective.

If you wish to dispose of materials yourself, free disposal vouchers are available for anyone impacted by flood water. For further information, including how to access the vouchers and what materials will be accepted, read the FAQs

How do I dispose of sandbags that are on my property?

Do not place or empty sandbags in any kerbside bin, skip bin, or in the river. A collection service for the removal of sandbags from registered properties will be arranged. This will be a separate collection to the removal of flood-affected materials. Local transfer stations are also able to accept small quantities of sandbags at no cost. Please enquire with them as to their capacity to receive them.