Purpose: GISA’s Business Sustainability Program (the Program) fills an information gap, providing expertise as a basis for informed decision-making and implementation of sustainable change.
Aim: To expand South Australia’s green industry sector by supporting a range of businesses, organisations, and industries to apply sustainability and circular economy principles in the commercial production of goods and delivery of services.
Objective: To support businesses adopt:
- better practice methods and standards in waste management, guided by the waste management hierarchy (prioritising waste avoidance and reduction, reuse and recycling; promoting zero avoidable waste to landfill)
- better practice methods and standards in the efficient use of resources to deliver the same (or better) output with less input
- net zero emissions strategies and targets
- circular economy principles and practices (keeping materials in use for as long as possible; minimising or eliminating waste, pollution and harm to the environment; less reliance on virgin materials and regenerating natural systems).
- Increased awareness and understanding of how to implement circular economy principles, better practice waste management and resource efficiency, and adopt net zero emissions targets within SA business and government agencies.
- Reduced reliance on virgin materials, keeping materials in use for as long as possible, and eliminating waste, pollution and harm to the environment.
- Reduced resource and materials intensity of SA products and services; increased efficiencies within business and industry sectors; a cleaner environment with fewer carbon emissions.
- Profitability, investment attraction and economic growth for South Australia; employment security; accountability and transparency for environmental reporting; competitive advantage and savings to reinvest for continuous improvement and economic growth.
- Growth in capability and market for businesses that enable a green economy.
- Contributes to State and Commonwealth objectives relating to landfill diversion, waste reduction, and adoption of circular economy practices.
- Contributes to GISA’s legislative requirements, strategy and policy development.