Council Modernisation Grants
How much money is available?Applications for grants from $20,000 to a maximum of $100,000 (excluding GST) per project are invited.
Who can apply?All South Australian councils and subsidiaries that manage waste and recycling services (including organics) for residential and small business ratepayers. This includes: waste and recyclables collected through kerbside collected bins; hard waste, waste and recyclables collected at drop-off facilities, public place recycling (which is increasingly important as we transition to compostable takeaway products) and council-operated commercial services.
What will we fund?
- Using technology to innovate – software applications and infrastructure
- Pilot projects to increase food waste diversion in multi-unit dwellings
- Market research to assess ratepayer attitudes to a range of service delivery matters
- Cost benefit analysis – standardisation of bin systems
- Regional waste management plans updated to take into account South Australia’s Waste and Resource Recovery Plan
- Solutions for problematic wastes
- Other projects which improve source separation, kerbside performance and public place recycling, particularly with regard to the quality and volume of organic and co-mingled materials (or reduce residual waste yields).
What WON’T we fund?
- Retrospective projects (projects for which funding is matched by Green Industries SA must start after applications close).
- Projects targeting:
- Different bin system configurations e.g. six-bin systems
- Waste to energy proposals
- Hazardous waste kerbside collections in metropolitan Adelaide
- Education and market research (unless part of a pilot project)
- Projects which are eligible for funding or support under other Green Industries SA program:
- Kerbside Performance Plus (Food Organics) Incentives Program (open)
- Recycling Infrastructure Grants Program – Local Government and Industry (closed)
- Regional Transport Subsidies Program (open)
- Which bin Household Education Program (ongoing)
When does it close?
Contact Program ManagerFor queries please contact:
- Program Manager: Mr Justin Lang
- Phone: 0419 948 931