Managing hazardous chemicals, plastic dripline and irrigation and CCA treated timber (‘permapine’)

What can I do with chemicals?
Materials like paint, pesticides, herbicides and fertilisers will be collected from your fire affected property free of charge. Our advice to people in fire affected areas is 'sort it, and store it safely'. The South Australian Government will assist in removing these materials from your property. Use this form to register with Green Industries SA

Accepted materials include:

  • Acids and alkalis
  • Brake fluid and coolants
  • Motor oil
  • Cleaning products
  • Fumigants
  • Liquid paints – oil and water-based up to 100 litres
  • LPG cylinders
  • Pesticides, herbicides, insecticides
  • Poisons
  • Pool chemicals
  • Solvents, varnishes and stains
  • Other household and farm chemicals

You can also take these chemicals to the following locations for free:

  • Campbelltown: 6 Newton Road, Campbelltown. Opening hours: Monday-Friday 8am-3pm
  • Edinburgh North: Gate 3, Bellchambers Road, Edinburgh North. Opening hours: Monday-Friday 8am-4pm, Weekends 9am-3pm
  • Heathfield: 32 Scott Creek Road, Healthfield. Opening hours: Monday-Friday 7.30am-4pm, Weekends 9am-4pm (Heathfield will not be operational on days of extreme fire risk).
  • North Plympton: 181 Morphett Road, North Plympton. Opening hours: Monday-Friday 7am-4pm, Saturday 8am-3pm, Sunday 10am-3pm

When handling burnt or damaged chemicals and containers please make sure you use protective clothing to avoid contact with chemicals, even common household or farm chemicals. Wear gloves, eye protection, a face mask and suitable footwear. Do not decant or mix chemicals, and please keep them in the original containers. If you know what chemicals are in the container and the label is not readable, please label the container to assist with identification.


What can I do with copper chromated arsenate (CCA) treated timber and permapine posts?
If CCA treated timber is burnt or wet it can leach out trace amounts of copper chromium and arsenic. This may impact on soil and ground/surface water quality in some environments. Do not chip or mulch CCA timber, or use onsite as a ground cover.

CCA timber must be disposed of through a licensed landfill only. The South Australian Government is coordinating collections and drop off sites for CCA timber from fire affected properties to take CCA timber to landfill. These sites and further options will be announced soon. For now, please store CCA timber and posts safely on your property. CCA timber should be stored on a waterproof lining and not left in contact with soil. Options for drop off and collections will be announced through the State Recovery Office and on the Green Industries SA website.

For more information see the Environment Protection Authority’s fact sheet on CCA timber.


What can I do with plastic drip line?
The South Australian Government will organise for drop off locations of poly-pipe and plastic irrigation hose and drip lines. For now separate out your poly pipe and drip line from your other waste and store it onsite. Options for drop off sites will be announced through the State Recovery Office and on the Green Industries SA website,


How do I register if I need chemicals, CCA timber and ash removed from my property?

Use our registration form here to confirm the types and quantities of materials you need collected. This does not include asbestos. For asbestos advice click here.

Who do I contact for more information?

  • CCA Timber: Environment Protection Authority: (08) 8204 2004 or free call for non-metropolitan callers: 1800 623 445
  • Asbestos: For more details, visit for advice and information to help homeowners, tenants, employers and workers manage asbestos in their homes and workplaces. For information on fire damage and asbestos click here.